Ok, some weeks I look at Mama Kat’s writing prompts and I think to myself, “Pass, not a single thing on here I could even begin to write about” and then there are weeks like this where I could do a couple of them.
Today I’ll write about the things of fall that I love!
1. I love the changing of the leaves. Might seem funny, but I don’t remember the leaves changing all the years I lived in Washington. It’s the Evergreen State so, yah, it pretty much stays green all year long.
2. School is back in session. YES, my Wednesdays are mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine again and my boys get to do some learnin’ so they can support me when I’m old!
3. I love taking the kids to the pumpkin patch. Here in Minnesota we have an apple that’s called the Honeycrisp. It was created by the U of M I believe. Well, this apple is over $3/lb at the grocery store so I’m hoping it’ll be cheaper at the patch!
4. Ok, now I like getting my sweaters out and other cold weather apparel. I just dislike doing it in August! It gets cold very quickly here and I’m just NOT a fan of it! I have a coworker getting married next month and his invitation reads “flip flops and lawn chairs welcome”. I’m thinking there’s no way we’ll be wearing flip flops! Maybe a parka and snow pants!
5. I’m already thinking about my first batch of chili. I haven’t made it since the last time it was cold, maybe back in April/May. I’ll be making some tonight for a family from church, but the stuff for home won’t be made until this weekend. I can already imagine the smells!!
6. Are you ready for some football? This was the first year the boys and I had ever been to a Vikings football game. Yes, it was pre-season. Ask me if I care. We won, that’s all that matters to me. We had a great time (so that’s actually what mattered) I also loved playing Fantasy Football last year for the first time. I actually won my league (yep tooting my own horn), but they didn’t do another one this year. =/
7. The new Community Ed catalog comes out with the boys favorite sport to play…basketball. But guess what? They didn’t send it to me. For the first time in 14 yrs I didn’t receive mine and guess what? By the time Doodle started bringing home slips of paper from school talking about all the fun activities available, his grade for basketball was filled up. =(
8. Dead grass. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love green grass and I do enjoy mowing it, for the most part. I’ve got a very large lawn and it takes me either an entire day or a couple hours spread over a few days to get it all done. Now that Fall has arrived, no more mowing until next spring.
9. New kids tv shows. I remember growing up that with the fall came the start of a whole new series of my favorite tv shows. Now I get to ask my boys every Friday night if they’re excited about their new shows!
10. The cooler temps, shorter days and blankets of leaves. Ok, I’m totally lying because I couldn’t think of one more thing. Cooler temps mean winter is just around the corner and shorter days mean the sun is going to bed waaaay too early for my liking. I have a very good friend who’s husband and son (and last year her too) who have come the last two years to clean my lawn of a gazillion leaves. Pretty much every single tree in my yard has leaves that fall off. It takes forrrrever to get them raked so I’m ALWAYS thankful when they come over and blow them into piles so they can be dragged into the woods.
How about you? What are some of your favorite signs of fall?
1.) Describe a smell that brings back memories. (inspired by Darlingist Dr. Momsie)
2.) Tell a story (based on truth or fiction) where someone is playing with fire–literally or metaphorically–and probably shouldn’t be. (inspired bywritingfix.com)
3.) Draw, label, and share the layout of your childhood home.
4.) Write a blog post inspired by the word: leaves
5.) Fall is here! List your top 10 favorite things about this Fall season.