A couple months ago, I shared what my countertops look like. I’m pretty sure the countertops are the original ones from when the house was built back in the 80s. I finally got to the point where I couldn’t deal with it anymore.
Rust-oluem had the solution I needed! Countertop Tranformations is what I used. There was NO way I could afford to actually replace my counters.
I was pretty indecisive as to what color I wanted to go. I ordered the Onyx initially and then kind of freaked because I thought maybe it would be too black. So I tried to change it to the Java Stone to go along with my “coffee” theme that I hope to have in my kitchen. Get it…”java”. Well, unfortunately the order had already shipped. LOL
Several weeks ago my oldest daughter took my boys overnight and that meant it was time for me to get to work. I have to admit, I was more than a little nervous. What if it was more complicated than it looked?
I got all the extra items I thought I’d need…except some very crucial ones. For the record, let me just say, follow Rust-oleum’s suggests throughout the entire process, including what else you need to get for the project.
I didn’t get painter’s tape or drop cloths. Both are essential to the project. Trust me. And get a LOT of the drop cloths. I’d suggest about 10+. I’m telling you, you’ll thank me afterwards!
The project began with me watching the DVD. I’d have to say this was the most valuable part of the kit! I learn by doing. I don’t do so well just by reading. Having the DVD to follow along was priceless! This was a brilliant addition to the kit!
I started off by sanding down the countertop and the backsplash. Holy cow that’s a workout. As in, I was sweating. In the DVD it tells you it’s good to have 2 people working on this. I have to agree. hahahaha
I gave the counters a good wipe down and then rolled on the adhesive. I wish the can were a bit bigger. I have a lot of countertop space and got the largest kit. You’re told to put on a thick, cake-icing like layer, but as I was rolling it, I knew I wouldn’t have enough if I rolled it too thick.
After I got one section done, I came to the fun part. And THIS is where all those drop cloths come in handy. I got to spray the chips onto the adhesive. This stuff sprayed everywhere! It’s crazy! You are going to have THE biggest mess you’ve ever seen, but it will be worth it.
After I made sure every square inch was covered in specks it was time to let it set! It had to dry overnight. Unfortunately, I had to save a spot for the next day because I didn’t have an filler for a huge chip that was missing on the side of the counter. I had a small window in which to get it done the next day.
This was the end of day one of the Countertop Transformations. So far, so good!
Tomorrow I share with you the rest of the process and the end results!
*I received Rust-oleum Countertop Transformations for review. The opinions expressed are my own and never influenced by the company.